Friday, December 9, 2011

"Bye"

It often seems that Madelyn's receptive verbal skills are increasing rapidly but her expressive verbal skills are progressing much more slowly.  I have to remind myself not to be frustrated when my 20 month old isn't putting together sentences...after all, she is only 20 months old.

For a while it seemed that she wasn't really gaining any new words, but over the last couple of weeks she has been incorporating many more words into her vocabulary.  For instance, she could say "up" and "down" before, but now she is using them in context to help us understand what she wants.  She also has added a couple more names to her vocabulary of people "Wa-Ba" for Robin, and "Ro-Ro" for Ronan, two babysitters who she looks forward to playing with.   We had cheeseburger pie for dinner tonight and Madelyn was very proud of herself when she managed "pie."  I am not sure if she was expecting a different kind of pie for dinner, but she seemed to be happy enough when she found out what it was.

The new word that has been the most fun for me is "bye," because she says it to me every morning now when I am leaving for work.  It's very clear and usually accompanied by a wave and if I'm lucky a kiss blown my way as well.  Tonight, when Madelyn was skyping with her Mommom she demonstrated her thorough knowledge of the word.  When Justin asked Madelyn to say goodbye she walked over to the computer, looked directly in the camera, said "bye!" and closed the computer.  At least we know she understands the concept.

1 comment:

LyndaLyndaBoBindaMeMyMoMinda said...

I burst out laughing when she looked right into the computer, said, "Bye," with a wave, and slammed the computer shut. It was so funny. She closed it right up on me like she was on a mission. She had to go eat that cheeseburger pie!