Seriously...I know, so much drama. Part of me thinks that it would have just been easier to use the Tinkerbell costume that I bought last year, but it wouldn't have been nearly so unique. I am confident that we won't run into any other kids wearing exactly the same costume as Madelyn this year.
When I went to JoAnn Fabrics last week I had already picked out the pattern online to save time and I didn't really read it that carefully, I just wanted to get the right amount of fabric and whatever else I needed and then get back to work. As a result, more modifications than I had planned on needed to happen.
First of all, although the pattern was for all sizes, the child sizes were actually 2-4T which is a little big for Madelyn, but considering the style of pant I figured I might have to shorten them a little but it should probably be fine.
Second, the pattern for the pants was a lot of layers and trims which I was skipping since all I needed was the basic pants, so I had to read through and figure out which steps I needed to do and which steps I could skip since they didn't apply. Unfortunately some of the steps that I was skipping were more needed than I originally anticipated.
My biggest obstacle was actually the waist of the pants, because although the pattern had designed elastic in the back, it was also designed to be flat in the front and required a zipper. I didn't want to put a zipper in, but I also hadn't left myself much extra room since I followed the pattern when I cut the pants out. Also, the waist was designed to be attached to the bottoms in two parts (front and back) and I needed a continuous loop to put elastic all the way through. I ended up sewing together and ripping out seams a couple of times since I thought I knew what I was doing, but as it turns out making it up was harder than expected. In the end though, I worked it out. Once I got the waist figured out the rest was actually as simple as I had hoped and went together easily.
The End Product:
Madelyn was not inclined to smile at me, nor stay in once place so getting a picture was hard, but she liked how the pants swished when she walked.
So now I am back to the question of what top will work. I have a hot pink long sleeved onesie, a black sleeveless leotard, and a black long sleeved t-shirt. Hopefully one of these options will work.
Justin and I think Madelyn is adorable, of course, but it was nice when a few months ago our neighbor, who is an Art Director for Target, told us that she also thinks Madelyn is adorable and asked if we would be interested in having her in a Christmas photo shoot for Target. We said sure, and sent her a few photos, but nothing came of it - or so we thought.
Last week I got a call from one of the producers with Target asking if I could bring Madelyn in for a screening with a toy they were thinking about using her for. I said sure and got ready to arrange my schedule to accommodate. However, it turns out that the toy is actually one Madelyn has, soI got to take some pictures at home and send them to the producer. They decided to use Madelyn for the shoot so I brought her in on Friday morning. Although she thought it was a little strange to have her hair done and to have a little make-up put on her face, she was pretty easy going had happy, and ran right up to the toy to play with it with a big grin on her face. All in all we were there for less than an hour, and it was extremely stress free. When Madelyn was done playing we were done. And, we went home with a free pair of tights. They said they would send me some of the pictures to put in Madelyn's portfolio :)
Will we do it again...I don't know, but it was fun!
My plan is to make the Turkish dancer costume for Madelyn work, it is just working out the details. Today over my lunch I ran to a ridiculously busy JoAnn Fabrics store and picked up a genie costume pattern to use for the pants (even though everything I read says they're so easy you don't need a pattern). I don't think I am competent enough to make this work without a pattern. I also picked up some hot pink satin to make the pants.
I ordered a dance leotard online, also pink, which came in the mail today. I probably should have waited to get the fabric for the pants until I had the leotard in hand along with the pieces we got in Turkey so that I could see all the colors together. But I didn't. And the leotard is really bubble gum pink, which was not exactly as advertised (but this is what happens sometimes when you order things online.
The more I think about the dance leotard the more I think it is going to be really hard to change Madelyn's diaper unless all pieces of the costume come off - and that just is not a good idea. I put the leotard on with the purple part of the costume and I thought it looked a little silly.
With this in mind I decided to tackle the pants (or at least start on them) tonight. I made some modifications to the pattern because:
1) I didn't want a really fitted pant that I would need to zip Madelyn into, so I am planning an elastic waist.
2) With the purple costume I think we have all the embellishments needed so I am skipping the over layers and other notions recommended by the pattern.
I made a good start on the pants - I just need to try them on Madelyn so that I can finish sewing them together. It wasn't as easy as I had hoped, but actually went more smoothly than I had expected.
However - I am back to the drawing board for a top.