Friday, October 14, 2011

Costume Making

When my sister and I were little, I remember my mom and often my grandmother making us the most fantastic costumes for Halloween.  One year we were clowns, another we were ballerinas.  I even had a Cinderella costume that my grandma and I made together based on several dress patterns and the movie.  Now I have a little girl to dress up.


Last year after Halloween I bought a Tinkerbell costume on clearance that is cute and would be a fine costume, but while we were in Turkey I bought a little dancer costume for Madelyn.  The picture of the little dancer costume didn't turn out that well, but at least it gets the idea across.

Madelyn also has her shoes that my dad got her in Turkey, which you can see in a past post.  In order to make the dancer costume work Madelyn needs a pair of genie pants and also something to go under the top, since a sheer halter seems skimpy both for a toddler and for Minnesota in October.

The pants seem simple enough (although if I get them made I'll let you know if they really were) but they are just a pair of loose fitting pants with an elastic waist and elastic around both ankles.  And, if I want to get one, there are patterns out there like the one pictured below, I would just need to take the waist in a little based on the pattern size.
It's the top that has me worried.  I could get a long sleeved, a short sleeved, or a sleeveless leotard for Madelyn to wear under the top.  I am not excited about having to sew something for the top, but I am open to ideas.  Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions out there?  I could use some help!

No comments: