Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Custume Update


My plan is to make the Turkish dancer costume for Madelyn work, it is just working out the details.  Today over my lunch I ran to a ridiculously busy JoAnn Fabrics store and picked up a genie costume pattern to use for the pants (even though everything I read says they're so easy you don't need a pattern).  I don't think I am competent enough to make this work without a pattern.  I also picked up some hot pink satin to make the pants.
Simplicity Sewing Pattern 3626 Child, Girl and Misses Costumes, A (All Sizes)

I ordered a dance leotard online, also pink, which came in the mail today. I probably should have waited to get the fabric for the pants until I had the leotard in hand along with the pieces we got in Turkey so that I could see all the colors together.  But I didn't.  And the leotard is really bubble gum pink, which was not exactly as advertised (but this is what happens sometimes when you order things online.

The more I think about the dance leotard the more I think it is going to be really hard to change Madelyn's diaper unless all pieces of the costume come off - and that just is not a good idea. I put the leotard on with the purple part of the costume and I thought it looked a little silly.

With this in mind I decided to tackle the pants (or at least start on them) tonight.  I made some modifications to the pattern because:
1) I didn't want a really fitted pant that I would need to zip Madelyn into, so I am planning an elastic waist. 
2) With the purple costume I think we have all the embellishments needed so I am skipping the over layers and other notions recommended by the pattern.

I made a good start on the pants - I just need to try them on Madelyn so that I can finish sewing them together.  It wasn't as easy as I had hoped, but actually went more smoothly than I had expected.

However - I am back to the drawing board for a top.

1 comment:

Sarah Joy said...

So cute!!
I'm impressed with your drive to make this happen, despite your busy schedule :)
Awesome, Keity!