Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More Costume Drama

Seriously...I know, so much drama.  Part of me thinks that it would have just been easier to use the Tinkerbell costume that I bought last year, but it wouldn't have been nearly so unique.  I am confident that we won't run into any other kids wearing exactly the same costume as Madelyn this year.

When I went to JoAnn Fabrics last week I had already picked out the pattern online to save time and I didn't really read it that carefully, I just wanted to get the right amount of fabric and whatever else I needed and then get back to work.  As a result, more modifications than I had planned on needed to happen.

First of all, although the pattern was for all sizes, the child sizes were actually 2-4T which is a little big for Madelyn, but considering the style of pant I figured I might have to shorten them a little but it should probably be fine.

Second, the pattern for the pants was a lot of layers and trims which I was skipping since all I needed was the basic pants, so I had to read through and figure out which steps I needed to do and which steps I could skip since they didn't apply.  Unfortunately some of the steps that I was skipping were more needed than I originally anticipated.

My biggest obstacle was actually the waist of the pants, because although the pattern had designed elastic in the back, it was also designed to be flat in the front and required a zipper.  I didn't want to put a zipper in, but I also hadn't left myself much extra room since I followed the pattern when I cut the pants out.  Also, the waist was designed to be attached to the bottoms in two parts (front and back) and I needed a continuous loop to put elastic all the way through.  I ended up sewing together and ripping out seams a couple of times since I thought I knew what I was doing, but as it turns out making it up was harder than expected.  In the end though, I worked it out.  Once I got the waist figured out the rest was actually as simple as I had hoped and went together easily.

The End Product:
Madelyn was not inclined to smile at me, nor stay in once place so getting a picture was hard, but she liked how the pants swished when she walked.

So now I am back to the question of what top will work.  I have a hot pink long sleeved onesie, a black sleeveless leotard, and a black long sleeved t-shirt.  Hopefully one of these options will work.

No comments: