Monday, October 3, 2011

Apples!

What is that on the ground?  Apples?  Don't they come from a store?
I love summer and I have a hard time letting it go, however this weekend I remembered a few things that I like about fall.  I like apples, and I like picking apples.  I like apple crisp, I like caramel apples...you get the idea.  So, Mom, Dad, Madelyn, and I headed to Afton Apple on Saturday for Madelyn's first apple picking experience.  Unfortunately (and fortunately I guess) it was a really nice day and also Apple Fest at Afton, so it was really crowded.  I have picked apples there a few times before and never had such a crowded experience.  However, we still had a good time and came home loaded with apples.

Madelyn did not think that she should have to relinquish her hold on any of the apples that she had picked - somehow that just didn't seem fair to her.





MMMM...so good!


When we got home, Mom and I made apple crisp with a recipe that my Grandma gave me when I got married which she attributed to my Aunt Linda.

Apple Crisp
Butter a 9x13 pan
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
6-9 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced (enough to mostly fill the pan)

Preheat oven to 350

Mix the first 5 ingredients and then add the butter by either cutting it in, or if you freeze the butter you can use a grater to grate it in which is a little easier I think.  Mix the ingredients together with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture.  Place the sliced apples in the pan and then spread the crumbly mixture on top and pat it gently.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or both.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:D how sweet (haha)
what a fun adventure for you all!
and I'm gonna have to try this recipe :)