Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Who Lives in the Computer?

We live in the age of skype, which has been a fantastic way to keep in touch with family members.  But sometimes I wonder what Madelyn thinks, and how she associates the people that she talks to on the computer with the people that she sees in person.  I think she does on some level, but she also tries to hand things through the screen to the people she is talking to.   She also knows that the person we skype with the most is her Mommom (Justin's mom), and so if we ask if she wants to talk to Mommom she runs to the computer and points at it.

Recently, when we were skyping with Mommom Madelyn was getting frustrated that Mommom was not taking the toys that she was presenting to the computer screen.  I told Madelyn that Mommom was in the computer and so she couldn't take the toys, but that it was nice to show them to her.  This seemed to satisfy Madelyn, however Mommom said "I'm not in the computer, I'm in New York" which was clearly true.  I wonder, though, if Madelyn understands the difference, or if she thinks that Mommom lives in the computer, at least some of the time.

No comments: