Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Ever Expanding Vocabulary

Although in general I have felt that Madelyn has sort of hit a plateau in her expressive language, I realized that over the last couple of weeks she has added a couple of new words/phrases to her vocabulary.

Last week she dumped a cup of water on my bed and promptly followed it up by saying "oh no!"  I am pretty sure that I did not manage to keep from laughing, even though I was trying to get out the door to head to work and having to mop up the water was not on my morning agenda.  She looked so serious when she said it.  Since then she has been using "oh no" with some frequency, although it has not completely replaced "uh-oh."

I sing in the choir which practices on Thursday nights, and since Justin either participates in choir as well or is working we have a babysitter watch Madelyn at church whose name is Emma.  A few weeks ago Madelyn surprised us all by saying "Emmie!"  Now, every time we go to church Madelyn wants to know if she is going to see Grandpa and if she is going to see Emma.

Over the weekend Madelyn named one of her stuffed animals, a stuffed lamb that we gave her for Easter.  The lamb has been christened "Mimi."  I find it interesting that of all her toys, the lamb which she only plays with on an occasional basis, is the only toy that has a name.

Madelyn also often says "hmmm" in response to questions while she is "thinking" about her response.  It makes me smile every time.

2 comments:

beccijoy said...

I think you can blame mom for the "hmmm"-ing

Unknown said...

That is a distinct possibility :)